The main objective of LIFE ReNatural NZEB project is the development of Nearly Zero Energy Buildings with low carbon footprint, using recycled and natural materials and products.
The specific objectives are:
- Develop a construction model of nearly zero energy building with low carbon footprint and low cost using green and circular economy criteria.
- Introduce sustainable construction materials and technologies "close to the market" such as kenaf insulation, rice husk composite materials and biomass ash in concrete structure.
- Promote sustainable construction technologies with low market rate in Spain and Portugal such as wood structure, windows and finishes, compressed earth block structure, cork insulation, olive kernel biomass, clay wall panels and sustainable green roof/façade.
- Build some prototypes in existent and new constructions with natural and recycled technologies selected in the project. They have different typologies, sizes and uses to test the viability of those technologies in different scenarios.
- Decrease the energy demand in buildings using envelopes made with recycled and natural materials.
- Dissemination of proposed technologies.
- Promotion and dissemination of nearly zero energy buildings in Portugal and Spain.
- Promote circular and green economy in construction sector using technologies with natural and local sources materials to enhance the regional economy and social opportunities in the regions participant in the project.
- Develop technical documentation, regulations, recommendations and urban regulations to reduce embodied energy in construction and promote the use of construction technologies based on recycled and materials.